Marker offers a variety of construction-related services tailored to each client’s needs.
One of our biggest assets to you is that we’re built to be able to deliver anything and everything that might be needed on your project.
This allows you to dream and focus on your needs — while being confident that we have the ability to handle any task needed, to arrive at that dream.
We are known for providing fair, impartial, and expert guidance. We understand that each client’s situation is unique – we ask questions and communicate openly so we can present the most innovative and effective solutions. Marker Construction offers a full spectrum of consulting services, including:
- Needs assessment / programming
- Budget development
- Guidance on fundraising techniques
- Constructibility analysis / review
- Schedule assessment & improvements
- Expert testimony
Real Estate Development
Our expertise in project selection, acquisition strategy, underwriting, deal structuring, and collaborative design and execution management allows for successful delivery of real estate development solutions tailored to every client’s needs.
We can provide turn-key development solutions covering many uses. From capital sourcing, economic feasibility analysis, and land acquisition to preconstruction, construction delivery, and occupancy, we engage creative and flexible approached to development projects.
Our Services Include:
- Rehabilitation/Historic Restoration
- Multifamily/Mixed Use
- Medical Offices
- Land Development
- Student Housing
Design & Architecture
Our on-staff design professionals – including licensed architects and engineers – incorporate their architectural knowledge and determine project feasibility. Our design staff also assists with other value-added services including the following:
- Needs assessments and feasibility studies
- Building programming
- Master planning
- Site logistics planning
- Site and building design, including conceptual design, schematic design, and design development
- Preparation of construction documents and specifications
- LEED certification and sustainable design
- Building and zoning code review
- ADA and life safety compliance
- Constructibility reviews
- Post-occupancy reviews
Virtual Design and Construction (BIM)
Marker offers another layer of design accountability and construction oversight through clash detection analysis, value engineering alternatives, project phasing coordination, and budget review. We utilize 3D presentation and virtual reality software to analyze and refine building designs and construction processes in ways that seemed far-fetched only a few years ago. With this VD&C capability, the design and construction process is enhanced to another level, with benefits that are shared with the client, design team, subcontractors, and us.
A few of the benefits of using this new technology include: virtual building mockups as an alternative to large scale physical mockups, which can save time and money; virtual building walkthroughs that not only gives someone a sense of the space, but can also be used to determine construction sequencing and coordination of critical components; and real-time design changes (with direction from the Design Team), which can quickly and effectively show multiple design iterations and allows input from all stakeholders to make informed design and operational decisions.
Marker’s VD&C Department has the capability to manage the coordination process of MEP systems. Through the use of 2D and 3D drawings, coordination drawings can be generated and evaluated to determine and address any conflicts before physical materials and equipment are put in place. All MEP contractors, as well as some general trade contractors, are involved in the coordination meetings to ensure decisions made are unanimous and all contractors are on the same page. This process also allows the scheduling of MEP installations to be refined and inspection milestones be set.
In-house capabilities include the following:
- Building scanning
- Site logistics planning
- MEP coordination
- Photo-realistic renderings
- Material take-offs
- Scheduling and project phasing
- Value engineering alternatives
- As-built models and documents
- Refining and analyzing a project’s design
- Coordinating documents and identifying conflicts early-on before they become costly to correct
These are all advanced solutions that our clients have come to expect with the rise of technology and the benefits of pre-planning. We provide all BIM deliverables as requested by our clients, and we are experienced using AutoCAD, Revit, SketchUp, Lumion and Enscape software.
Working alongside our clients during the preconstruction phase allows us to offer the greatest value to each project. Our Preconstruction Teams work closely with our Project Teams to help clients identify value engineering solutions, schedule improvements, or potential constructibility issues. We excel in pre-planning; we know that it lays the necessary foundation for a well-executed project.
- Cost control
- Fully integrated Sage 300 / Timberline estimating system with on-screen, quality take-off
- Detailed conceptual estimates based on a thorough understanding of the project
- Guaranteed Maximum Prices (GMPs) provided at the appropriate stage of design
- Solicit strong supplier and subcontractor interest and participation / secure minority interest and participation
- Feasibility studies
- Building Information Modeling (BIM) / 3D modeling
- Site logistics planning
- MEP coordination
- Photo-realistic renderings
- Revit / AutoCAD / SketchUp software
- Constructibility analysis & review
- Value engineering
- Secure minority interest and participation
Construction / Project Management
Construction Management is at the heart of what we do as constructors. Our Project Teams consist of passionate, hard-working, and resourceful leaders, with the depth of experience to handle a broad range of projects. We rely on transparent communication, detailed reporting, and team collaboration to make sure each project results in a successful outcome. In addition, our firm uses Sage 300 enterprise software to fully integrate each component of a project, from estimating, to project management, to accounting.
- Critical Path Method (CPM) Scheduling
- Primavera P6
- Primavera Suretrack
- Microsoft Project
- Complete project management
- On-site supervision & coordination
- Subcontractor procurement & management
- Self-performed work
- Equipment & materials procurement
- Progress reports & executive summaries
- Project web and drone cameras
- Safety auditing
- Change order control & management
- Quality Assurance / Quality Control
- Project close-out & final walkthrough
- O&M manuals
- Warranty management
- Client satisfaction surveys
- LEED registration & certification
With a long history of successful projects as the Construction Manager, this delivery method brings the team of professionals together early in the planning process and helps ensure the alignment of the team with the client’s goals. Working cooperatively with the client’s design professionals, early estimates based on the schematic drawings allow the team to fine tune the project details with the budget. This open-book method of sharing project details, and our collaborative approach to the selection of subcontractors, results in the assembly of the strongest, most capable, and qualified project teams.
Similar to the transparent approach of Construction Management – and with the added responsibility of design – Design-Build also brings the professional team together at the outset, while offering single party responsibility and seamless integration of construction and design. Our strong leadership and highly collaborative style lends itself perfectly to the Design-Build method. We enjoy assembling expert teams that will bring the most value to a project. Design-Build allows us to fully understand a client’s needs before emphasizing them in the project design. The resulting projects reflect increased constructibility, improved schedules, and a streamlined team approach.
Marker Construction has deep roots in the design-bid-build, or competitive bid, project approach. We are fierce competitors with a “sharp pencil,” and an army of highly skilled and engaged tradespersons. This self-performance capability gives us a competitive edge and brings greater value to our clients. Our disciplined focus and highly methodical approach reduces our cost of construction, increases quality, and helps to ensure the work is done right the first time.
Serving as the Owner’s Representative is yet another approach to providing client support in which we are highly successful. The scope of these services can vary from limited engagement and oversight, to full oversight – including the selection of design professionals, to project completion and commissioning. We enjoy the opportunity to guide clients through the entire construction process as the Owner’s Representative. Our history as a highly respected and trusted construction firm proves invaluable when leading projects from the clients’ seat. Our value proposition to “See projects through our clients’ eyes” is never more important than when we are acting in this role. We know we have the right expertise and the right characteristics to deliver a successful outcome for all of our clients.
Safety Comes First
We understand the organization and attention required to provide a safe environment for all affected by our projects. Marker’s Health and Safety Program includes initiatives and procedures which provide workplace safety at the highest level. Evidence of this is demonstrated by our continued involvement in OSHA’s Voluntary Protection Program (VPP).
We were the third mobile work force in the nation to qualify for this coveted designation. Our commitment to this program demonstrates the importance we place upon the safety of our associates and anyone else coming in contact with our construction operations.
KEY COMPONENTS TO OUR SAFETY PLAN INCLUDE:
- We exceed OSHA standards. This includes 100% tie-off for steel erection activities. We also require hard hats 100%, safety glasses, hi-visibility, and steel-toed boots.
- Every Marker project manager and field associate has OSHA 10 and/or 30-hour training.
- Each Trade Contractor is evaluated by our Safety Manager as part of our prequalification process. Contractors with an inadequate safety plan or poor records will be deemed unqualified, and not considered.
- Our Safety Manager will audit the project site periodically to ensure work is being completed in compliance with our Safety and Health Program, as well as conducting safety pre-starts for each critical job site activity, such as crane lifts, shoring, and scaffolding.
- Substance-Free Workplace Policy: Marker is committed to providing a safe work environment and fostering the well-being and health of its employees. That commitment is jeopardized when any Marker employee or contractor’s employee uses controlled substances or illegal drugs in the workplace. Therefore, we take this very seriously and any violators of the policy will be removed from the jobsite and disciplined accordingly.
- Safety Recognition Program (SRP): We encourage our associates to go above and beyond when it comes to safety. Our program takes a proactive approach to preventing injuries, increases communication between field/office, encourages near miss reporting, and boosts our safety culture.
OUR COMMITMENT TO SAFETY INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING FUNDAMENTALS:
- Strong emphasis on safety training
- Job Hazard Analysis of routine jobs, tasks, and processes.
- Site-Specific Training Orientation: this will inform the employees of site-specific hazards, emergency numbers, and evacuation procedures, as well as general safety regulations to be followed while on-site.
- Toolbox Talks performed weekly.
- Daily huddles with associates to review potential hazards and heighten safety awareness.
- Routine self-inspections: weekly documented site inspections are performed by each Project Superintendent with minimum weekly site audits conducted by the Safety Manager.
- Pre-Installation Meetings: held with contractors prior to mobilization on site. The objective is to clearly communicate Marker’s expectations and to coordinate activities.
- Job Safety Analysis held with the crew prior to the start of a work assignment or when conditions change that affect the safety of the work.
- Hazard Reporting System: All employees are required to report any and all hazards to their Superintendent immediately.
- Investigation of Accidents and Near-Misses: We investigate and determine the root cause of all incidents. Incident reports are shared with all employees following each investigation to create awareness and prevent future incidents.
We don’t believe accidents happen — All injuries are preventable with the right safety culture & systems.
ABC SAFETY TRAINING EVALUATION PROCESS (STEP)
For the past 14 years, Marker has been a participant with the Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc. STEP (Safety Training Evaluation Process) program. Each participant is evaluated based on 20 components. By measuring our safety program in accordance with these components, we can evaluate each facet and make system adjustments. Adhering to this safety management system improves our overall safety performance- above and beyond the industry averages.
Since our involvement with STEP, we have excelled beyond participation and to date hold seven STEP Platinum level awards, four Gold level awards, and two Silver level awards. In 2018 and 2019, we maintained Platinum level achievement. According to the 2019 ABC Safety Performance Report, Platinum level companies have EMR at or below 0.8 beginning Jan.1 of the application year, no lives lost or catastrophic incidents, company-wide, during the previous three years resulting in an OSHA citation, and TRIR (total recordable incident rate) 25% below the BLS NAICS code average for the data year. Marker’s average OSHA Incidence Rate (IR) over the past three years is 1.07.
Quality Management System (QMS)
We know that the only way to ensure our clients’ satisfaction and success is by maintaining quality at every step of the project. From pre-planning to close-out, an effective approach is futile unless it includes superior execution. We take pride in our proprietary Quality Management System, which consists of 38 key procedures. This system ensures that we are continually improving our processes based on client feedback and our own internal audits. Our associates follow these procedures on all of our projects, resulting in highly conforming work. This system leaves nothing to chance – and that’s the way we like it.
Sustainability & LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design)
Marker is experienced with sustainable design and LEED building practices across various markets. Our teams of LEED professionals guide projects which require LEED certification.
Regardless of a client’s decision to pursue LEED Certification or not, sustainable design and construction still results in energy and cost savings for our clients. As a leader in the industry, we believe it is our responsibility to promote building practices that support healthy and thriving future communities.
Our strong core of project superintendents and tradespeople are skilled and dedicated, working diligently to deliver successful projects for our clients that are completed on time and within budget. We self-perform much of the work other contractors have to “sub” or broker out. This eliminates a layer of fees, yielding increased project cost efficiencies. Because of the emphasis we place on training and cross-training, projects are run more efficiently from both a time and cost management perspective.
We have the capacity to self-perform the following trades:
- General requirements and safety
- Temporary facilities
- Selective demolition
- Concrete – both vertical and horizontal
- Steel erection
- Pre-engineered metal building erection
- Metal studs, drywall, and ceiling systems
- Wood finishes, casework, doors, and hardware installation